The Furniture Program helps provide used furniture to international students and scholars who have just arrived in Madison.
What? Donated, used, and discarded furniture are collected by the program and distributed to international students and visitors at Madison colleges. Furniture is first come, first served. It CANNOT be reserved. MFIS will try to arrange furniture delivery to international students, scholars, and families, however, this service cannot be guaranteed.
When? Open Houses are held the first Saturday of the month from 11:30 am-12:30 pm, except for June, July, December and January. There are also additional Open Houses scheduled in August. They are as follows and require no appointment:
- Sat Oct 6, 2018, 11:30-12:30
- Sat Nov 3, 2018, 11:30-12:30
- Sat Feb 2, 2019, 11:30-12:30
- Sat Mar 2, 2019, 11:30-12:30
- Sat Apr 6, 2019, 11:30-12:30
- Sat May 4, 2019, 11:30-12:30
Please fill out this form and we will be in contact with you. If you are new to Madison AND just arrived in Madison AND your apartment is ready to move in, you may call the furniture program chairman, Mike vonS, 608-620-8780 to set up an appointment outside of the Open House times.
Cost? A one-time handling charge applies, which is not refundable and ranges from $5 to $50 per item. The service charge depends primarily on how big the item is and how difficult it is to move. You may keep the furniture as long as you are enrolled at UW or MATC. Upon leaving Madison, please return the furniture and contact the people above. There is no charge for returning the furniture.
Items MAY include:
- Beds [single box spring, mattress: $10 each, double: $15, queen: $20; complete twin: $20, full/double: $30, queen or futon: $40]
- Desks [$10 – $30]
- Chairs [wheeled: $10, non-wheeled: $5]
- Tables [$5-40]
- Sofas [$20-30, sleeper sofa $40]
- Dressers [$10-30]
- Shelves [$5-25]
- Microwave Ovens [$10]
- Vacuum Cleaners [$10]
Water Heaters, Coffee Pots [$1-5 -limited supply]
Dishes,Pots,Pans,Kitchen Tools, Brooms, Bed Sheets, Blankets [Free in small quantities]
Where? In a storage garage behind the Dale Heights Presbyterian Church at 5501 University Avenue in Madison. Walk west on Norman Way for about 60 meters/200 feet just past the church. See a map for the location of the Furniture Storage Place.
Madison Metro Bus Route:
Monday – Friday: Middleton Routes 70, 71, 72, 74 [Norman Way Stop] Saturday/Sunday: Route 8 [Norman Way Stop]
Donations? For more information on what you can donate, where and when to donate it, and how to get a receipt- click here.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com. This is also the email to use if you’re interested in volunteering with this program.
What if I cannot find what I need? If MFIS does not have what you are looking for, please try the following:
- Boomerangs Resale Store: 1133 N. Sherman Avenue; http://www.boomerangsresale.org/
- St. Vincent De Paul: https://svdpmadison.wordpress.com/thrift-stores/used-furniture/
- Agrace Thrift Store: http://www.agrace.org/thriftstore/store-hours.html
- Goodwill: http://goodwillscwi.org/
- Craigslist: http://madison.craigslist.org/